Owning a smartphone is one of the most practical investments in todays economy. After owning a series of smartphones, the Apple iPhone 6 Plus is the best smartphone on the market as you will soon discover in my comprehensive best smartphone review.
Product: Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64gb
Price: $800 (Retail) -or- $399.99 w/2 year contract (At&T, Sprint)
Cheapest Place to Buy: Best Buy
My Rating: 4 out 5 stars
After years of toying with other smartphones e.g., Blackberry and the Instinct by Samsung (remember that one?) It wasn’t until the release of the iPhone 4 that I got on board with the whole iPhone frenzy… and been a loyal fan since.
Unlike previous versions of the iPhone, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus comes with larger LCD multi-touch screens used to highlight graphics and provide a better end-user experience; not to mention the highly anticipated extended battery life. Needless to say, bigger is always better in my opinion… hence, which is why I chose the iPhone 6 Plus with 64gb as not only my phone of choice but my personal assistant.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Features
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100, 4G: LTE 700 / 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600
- 5.5″ LED-backlit IPS LCD Multi-Touchscreen Shatter proof glass, oleophobic coating
- iOS 8, Dual-Core 1.4 GHz Cyclone (ARM v8-based) Processor, Chipset: Apple A8, PowerVR GX6650 (hexa-core graphics) Graphics
- 8 Megapixel Camera (3264 x 2448 pixels) w/ Autofocus, Dual-LED (Dual tone) Flash + Front-Facing 1.2 Megapixel Camera, 720p, burst, HDR
- Internal Memory: 64GB, 1GB RAM
– Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
– Siri natural language commands and dictation
– iCloud cloud service
– iCloud Keychain
– iBooks PDF reader
– Audio/video player/editor
– Document viewer/editor
– Photo viewer/editor
– Voice memo/dial/command
– Predictive text input- Fingerprint sensor (Touch ID)
– Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
Compare Apple iPhone 6 Plus to Samsung Galaxy S5
Although there are a ton of smartphones out there on the market… all proven to be very effective devices for business, entertainment, and personal use – we however chose the most comparable device to the iphone 6 Plus (Samsung Galaxy S5) for our comparison.
Personally I never owned any of the Samsung Galaxy models, however prior to the iphone 6 I have flurted with the idea of purchasing the Galaxy S4 simply because of size and picture quality alone. Perfect timing for Apple to introduce the 6 Plus, which is like having a small tablet coming in at 11% taller & 7% wider than the S5.
Although the Galaxy S5 has more color options available, the aluminum design of the iPhone 6 has a huge advantage over the S5 plastic build. Speaking of color, both devices have razor-sharp 1080p resolution; however I found that the S5 often has deeper saturation and higher contrast with images. Furthermore, the S5 has twice as many mega pixels in the camera which obviously works better when zooming, but takes a little longer to fire up… which can be sort of a turn off when taking photos.
In closing, I’d like to mention that the iPhone 6 Plus is now capable of making payments to participating retailers via Apple Pay. The S5 uses a similar feature with Google Wallet and Softcard. And even though Apple’s Touch ID sensor is faster and more convenient to use than Samsung’s swipe-based finger print scanner, the S5’s water resistant feature can probably save you a few dollars in the long run – specially if you tend to have clumsey hands.
Does The iPhone 6 Plus Deliver?
- One touch to pay with Touch ID
- Convenient checkout
- iOS 8 is full of features that make every experience better
- Built-in apps that are optimized to take advantage of the A8 chip’s 64-bit desktop-class architecture
- Faster LTE download speeds
- All-new sensor supports Focus Pixels and enables even faster autofocus.
- M8 motion coprocessor that efficiently measures your activity from advanced sensors
- The barometer senses air pressure to determine your relative elevation
- The accelerometer can measure your distance for walking and running.
- M8 works with the gyroscope to detect when you’re driving. It also kicks into action when you’re taking panoramic photos or playing games that react to your movement.
- Special layout for some apps when the phone is held sideways in landscape mode
- Obtical image stabalizer
- Super slo-mo feature
- Extended battery (Appx. 2 Hrs more than iPhone 6)
- No expandable storage
- Only 1GB of RAM
- Maybe the most expensive smartphone on the market
- Thinner than most smartphones
- No multi-screen support