Beside Drones, the GoPro Hero can capture the most elusive and intriguing images you can ever imagine. More importantly, the GoPro Hero4 Black 4K Action Camera can perform almost anywhere… and under the most extreme conditions, as you will soon discover here in my review.
GoPro HERO4 BLACK 4K Action Camera Review
Product: GoPro Hero4 Black 4K Action Camera
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon
My Rating: 4 out 5 stars
The GoPro Hero4 Black 4K is the must have adventure camera/recorder when it comes to taking classic “don’t blink your eyes or you’ll miss it” action moments. The GoPro Hero4 is the most advanced GoPro of it’s kind. Just the other day I was watching underwater footage of a sea turtle navigating throughout the coral reefs with a GoPro attached to his shell and the footage was mesmerizing. Check out this amazing skydiving video -all captured with the GoPro Hero…
GoPro HERO4 BLACK 4K Action Camera Features
- Video: 4K30, 2.7K60, 1440p80, 1080p120, 960p120, 720p240 (super slow motion capture)
- Photo: 12MP, 30 fps Burst, Time-Lapse
- Built-in Wi-Fi + Bluetooth connectivity for the GoPro App (free download) and Smart Remote (sold separately)
- Time-Lapse Video, Night Photo/Night Lapse, Protune(TM) for photo & video, SuperView(TM), high performance audio, Waterproof to 131′ (40m), Compatible with 60+ GoPro mounts and accessories
- HiLight Tag, a new HERO4 feature, enables you to mark key moments while recording
- Auto Low Light mode intelligently changes frame rates based on lighting conditions for optimal low-light performance
- Powerful New Audio System: integrated ADC (analog-to-digital converter), HERO4 Black is compatible with a wider variety of professional low-sensitivity external mics4 for immersive stereo audio capture and enhanced performance, whether recording voices, an acoustic jam session or a live show.
- Free GoPro App and GoPro Studio software
Compare GoPro Hero4 Black 4K To Sony 4K Action Cam
When you’re looking for the perfect action camera… you’d want something that has superb image quality with rich colors and broad dynamic range right? Well, the Sony 4K Action Cam has that and a whole lot more; including immersive sound quality.
Although both action cameras are capable of producing awesome stand alone footage, both have a plethora of accessories at their disposal to enhance your action adventure experiences. The new Sony 4K Action Cam comes better equipped with higher bitrates, digital image stabilization, and a wider field of view. However, the GoPro just produces better quality footage overall.
The GoPro Hero4 is the epitome of “it’s not the size that matter, it’s the motion in the ocean.” You’d think the GoPro Hero4 would be somewhat larger than its actual size, simply because of all the features packed in. In fact, the small size allows for more versatility enabling the camera to mount on to just about anything. Speaking of mounts, I actually heard the accessories for the Sony are much more scarce and not as prevalent in retails stores as they are for the GoPro.
The Sony 4K Action Cam is splash proof, yet with the case… the GoPro Hero can travel much deeper underwater. As far as battery life, the GoPro under delivered compared to Sony with over 2hrs battery life. Though both action cams are equally priced, the Sony 4K Action Cam runs a close second to the GoPro Hero4 Black 4K. And thus turns out to be an overall better fit for the action adventure enthusiast.
Does the GoPro Hero4 Black 4K Deliver?
- Improved microphones & excellent sound quality
- New manual controls
- Improved menu navigation
- GoPro App + Software
- Built-in WiFi + Bluetooth
- New Ultra HD video modes, including: 4K30, 2.7K60 and 1080p120
- Improved image quality and a 2x more powerful processor with 2x faster video frame rates
- QuikCapture convenince
- Smart Remote (sold separately)
- Battery life sucks
- Cam gets hot during long durations
- No LCD screen
- Accessories can get expensive
- No image stabilization